Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My first fleece soakers

I'm SO excited! Since I have been cloth diapering the boys (ya know, less than a week) I'm having to alternate between using covers, not using covers (which is dangerous using only prefolds!), and disposables. The only covers I currently have rub the boys legs and tummies. So, I hopped on the Internet, consulted with Jen who's having the same troubles, and finally decided to try to sew my own fleece soakers. Since I don't own one, have never seen one, don't have a pattern for one, I wasn't really sure where to start. I sat and brainstormed for a few minutes and decided I needed to start by measuring the boys' tummies and thighs. Now what? I sat again and brainstormed; finally deciding the best way to get a diaper that fit like a disposable was to 'trace' the shape of that diaper, but wing it a little and using my measurements. I've had this fabric for a few weeks, but I've been afraid to cut it, afraid of messing it up. Tonight I finally got up the courage and got out the scissors!

Please keep in mind, the only thing I've ever sewn is a pillowcase or the like. All straight edged, square pieces of fabric using a standard straight stitch, I've never even touched the dials on my machine! Until tonight that is. Tonight I ventured out and used a double zigzag.

The first cover I tried was a failure. When I tried to sew the first leg cuff I realized the raw, stitched side would be seen when flipped back right side in. I thought, oh well, I can live with that. Then I also realized I cut the fabric so that the stretch was top to bottom, not side to side. So, it wouldn't work. Lesson #1, got it!

I re-cut fabric, this time also remembering to add an additional 'soaker' in the wet zone.

Alright, enough gibber jabber. Here they are:
First Attempt
Inside out, showing stitches and double wet zone soaker
3 hours later = 3 covers
Carter modeling one for me

4 comments:

Jen said...

You did a great job! I used this to sew mine and am venturing into pants!!!

http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Jessica...I'm so proud of you and your sewing machine!! Remember that time I brought mine over and we sewed together? You make me want to start getting creative again. You did a great job:)
Rebekah

Jessica said...

Thanks ya'll! You're my inspiration Jen!

um Rebekah, I'm ready for lesson #2. thanks.

Jen said...

I want to know how you got that Zig Zag stitch. My sewing machine is about as old as Brett, so old! Just kidding, maybe it is about 30 years old and sucks!