Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Cloth Diapers - Day 1

Today marked our official cloth diaper debut! The boys turned 4 months old today, and I figured today was as good a day as any to start.

I'm happy to report, no leaks, no issues, no problems! My little stinker who shall remain nameless (uhum, Carter) decided to put me to the cloth diaper test a couple of times, and I passed with flying colors; didn't even flinch! It was a great and promising day for cloth diapers in the Lloyd home. I was actually a little sad to put their Huggies back on tonight at bed time. Some fellow CDers have said they use BumGenius diapers at night with no leak issues. They are basically a cloth Huggies/Pampers style diaper. They're about $18 each, but I could get 6 and wash every other day... Hmmm.

My plan is to wash every other day. That way I basically have a full load, saving on water, each wash; and the diapers don't have time to get real stinky.


Here's my journey in pictures:

Yesterday - Prep Day:

Today - We're in business!

So comfy Brayden fell asleep before I could dress him.

Instructions:

Using a Chinese Prefold and Bummis Cover
Here's your prepped diaper, nice and quilty:


Step 1: Fold it in thirds




Step 2: Lay it in the cover (no pins or snappi needed)


Step 3: Put it on baby like you would any diaper


2 comments:

Jen said...

I am so excited for you! I did not do that to prep mine though. I just washed them a few times. I tried the washing every other day, but it was such a HUGE load that my washer could not handle it and they did not come out very clean. So, I wash every day, a small load. We do use the BG OS at night. I have 6. I don't expect them to stay in them until they potty train.
They look so cute!

Jessica said...

Yeah, I got the unbleached kind, and then read that they were even harder to prep because of all the natural oils, so I boiled them to save time/water. They boiled for 30 minutes then I washed them in hot water with a presoak... Turned out perfect. I walked away and left them on the stove boiling one time and had a HUGE boil over - big mess! We'll see how every other day works, but I may have to go to every morning too... Yeah, I'm gonna have to find an alternative to the Bummis. No leaks, but rubbing the boys.

Jessica