Thursday, October 2, 2008

I finally made my detergent!

It was so easy and it works great! I know because it took me a day to 'get around' to making it and I had to do 3 loads of laundry today to catch up! At first, I was a little concerned because the soap pieces float in the water, but they quickly started dissolving, even in cold water. I made one of the powder formulas: 2 cups natural bar of soap, 1 cup Borax, 1 cup Washing Soda. I can make about 8 'batches' of this detergent with the boxes of ingredients I bought. I get approximately 30 loads per batch - that breaks down to .02 per load AND it's phosphate free and therefore good on the environment and my clothes! Compare that to Ecos laundry detergent, also phosphate free, at .12 per load from Sam's. I do at LEAST 60 loads a month, that's $6.00 a month. Not a LOT of money, but it adds up! =) Ecos also comes in a plastic container vs 2 card board boxes needed to make your own.

grated soap

All ingredients

3 comments:

Jen said...

When I run out I am making this, with your recipe! What did you store it in?

[Hailes] said...

I'm thinking the same thing... what is the recipe and how do you store it?

This is so neat! Who knew?? =)

Jessica said...

I'm storing it in a tupperware type container. I have a large oxyclean tub that I'll start using when it's empty. (they're the plastic tubs with a screw on lid)

2 bars shredded natural soap
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda

You can double, triple, quadruple the recipe... However much you want to make!