Monday, September 15, 2008

What can you do with Capri Sun Pouches (and the like)?

I'm trying to get Lakewood to let me start a Capri Sun collection effort there. You can sign up through http://www.terracycle.net/ to collect and recycle different things. The school or NPO of your choice can enroll and receive a small compensation for each item collected. At our school, they use and discard TONS of Capri Sun pouches each day since parents are asked to bring them for snack time each day. They're easier on the teachers than containers they have to pour into cups. Understandable. They're website is down, but I think each NPO gets .005 cents per pouch - or something like that. It's small, but it adds up.

I've been collecting the pouches we use at home for about 2 months now. If the school decides not to take part in this opportunity, I'll still continue on with the effort for another charitable cause. Any suggestions? Wade and I have intentions of joining a church soon. Perhaps we'll have the proceeds sent there...

They make purses from capri sun and sell them at target for $9.99. Click here to see one.

Check out TerraCycle, they collect all sorts of stuff. You can even find their Worm Poop on the shelves at Home Depot now! It's an organic fertilizer made from recycled Coke bottles! Click here to read a review of TerraCycle.
DO IT YOURSELF

I can't wait to try to make the pencil zipper pouch. I'm thinking of doing it with a fold over flap that velcro's to avoid sewing the zipper!!

Click here for instructions on pencil bags and pencil containers that you can make from Capri Sun (and the like) drink pouches.

Click here for instructions on how to make capri sun belts.

If you want to collect the pouches, but don't want to coordinate the effort or find an NPO, please let me know and I'll pick the pouches up from you!

No comments: