Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Fruits of our Labor

We're almost ready to harvest the first produce from our first garden. How exciting!


I wish I could say it was completely organic. Unfortunately, not this year. At least not completely. The bugs started munching the banana peppers so fast I panicked and dusted them with seven dust instead of trying some of the other, non-pesticidal methods. I'll do better next year now that I know they {the bugs} think they are so yummy.

Upon planting this garden, I had a few goals in mind. I wanted to first of all do it! I've talked about it before but never actually done it. Second of all, it's a small step towards becoming a healthier me, and therefore, healthier family. Fresh, organic, produce is more expensive, so if I grow my own, we'd all have more without the expense and therefore eat more fresh veggies. Right? Plus the added benefit of knowing how it's grown and cared for. Third of all, it's a small, small way to become less dependant on oil. Finally, I guess it's my independent spirit kicking in, but I love the feeling of growing my own food. Not needing anyone else to do it for me... I don't know, pride I guess.

I'll post pictures tomorrow. = )

No comments: