Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Time to start planning that garden!

Wade and I have dabbled a little with tomato plants in the past, even a pepper plant here and there. But this year, we have decided to plant a full garden. I am super excited about it and I know that we'll both be dieting and eating lots of salads this summer, so I can't wait to have our first salad from our own garden! I grew up with a garden, my mom and stepdad made it look so easy. But, if you're like me and the thought of it is overwhelming and you realize that you don't know how to grow a garden, no fears! I have some resources for all of us green - green thumbs.
Alabama and Georgia Hardiness Zone maps.

Maps from GrowIt.com. Click here to find your state.
Here’s a summary of which crops to plant early, and which ones not to plant until after your last spring frost date:
Very early spring (as soon as the ground can be worked)
Onions
peas
spinach
Early spring
lettuce
beets
carrots
radishes
dill
cilantro
cabbage
broccoli
celery
kale
potatoes
After last frost date
beans
corn
melons
cucumbers
squash
tomatoes
peppers
pumpkins
eggplant
basil
other websites:




3 comments:

[Hailes] said...

I was just asking my brother about planting a garden and have been reading some online. This will be my first time having a garden (if I can get it done in time!) So I thought, speaking of green, I'll check out Jessica's blog and see what she's been up to... and voila! Thanks for all the tips! I hope yours goes well and I hope I find the time to get mine started. I was thinking about doing a raised bed garden. You?

Jessica said...

Haley,
We were going to do a raised bed, but decided to do a container gardent his year and see how it goes.

Jessica said...

Good Luck with yours Hailey!