Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sweet Potatoes

My camera died. So I will post the pictures later. For now, here's an update on the baby food making.

Mom gave me 4 HUGE sweet potatoes for the babies. With about 12 oz of formula added to the potatoes, they made a total of 5 1 /2 ice trays. That's appx. 66 servings of sweet potatoes! I use them 3 servings at a time, so knock that down to 22 servings for us. Still, that's a lot.

I washed, peeled, cubed, steamed, drained, and let the potatoes cool off. Then I dumped a few in my blender. WHY?! I guess because I was thinking baby food = blender. I don't know. After a failed mess in the blender. I got out my electric hand mixer (like one uses to make mashed potatoes, duh!) and added roughly 12 oz of formula and viola, it was done. I spooned it into ice trays, froze over night and then put the cubes in a freezer safe tupperware.

For some reason the sweet potatoes take a minute in the microwave and the pears only take 30 seconds... But it's that easy!

I've since read that you should not peel the sweet potatoes, but instead leave the skin on while steaming so that you retain the extra vitamins and them scoop the 'meat' of the potato away from the skin. Live and learn.

!

dice

mash

freeze

2 comments:

[Hailes] said...

just curious what a 'freezer safe' tupperware is?? i froze some cookies today, but i didn't get the freezer safe memo before!! =)

Jessica said...

Most containers are freezer safe nowadays. I think all Tupperware and Rubbermade brand containers are freezer/microwave safe.
It just means they are air tight to prevent freezer burn and leakage and that they can handle extreme cold to extreme heat without cracking. I've read some really cheap plastic storage containers aren't freezer safe and can crack. Also, now, because of the research being done regarding BPA, I don't want to take any chances, so I make sure it says BPA free. = )

I'm sure your cookies are fine! = )

Jessica